Thanksgiving is in a couple of days! According to the National Turkey Federation, Americans will consume around 45 million turkeys on a day filled with gratitude and togetherness. From IHT to your home, a little guide on selecting the Perfect Turkey for your Big Green Egg grill and/or Weber this holiday season! You may feel option overload...but relax.
One big advantage for your health in consuming turkey...they are always raised without hormones!
Organic: A wee bit pricier, but raised without both hormones and antibiotics. Better for the bird, better for your body long-term! These birds live off corn and soybean meal.
Pasture-raised: These birds feed on grasses and insects outdoors. Their varied diet produces flavorful meat.
Heritage Turkeys: Throwback a few hundred years. Growing in popularity, these birds have a longer life and slower growth rate. Their almost gamy meat flavor comes from a life mostly spent outdoors mating naturally. You won't find as much white meat here.
Free Range Turkeys roam outdoors freely in a fenced-in area most of the time. None of that 24-7 caged stress on the body.
All Natural Turkeys are minimally processed - you'll find natural flavorings sans the artificial preservatives. Oftentimes you'll find them in open houses with fresh air and water. They tend to be restricted to local shipping zones.
Young Turkeys offer a unique flavor and are always less than eight months old.
A few tips:
- Read labels. Fresh turkeys are chilled between 26° and 40° F while frozen turkeys are below 0° . The latter are often injected with butter, magarine, salt, broth and/or flavor enhancers.
- Hen turkeys and Tom turkeys have the same meat ratio and tenderness.
- Plan ahead when purchasing a frozen turkey. For every five pounds, the turkey will take one day to safely defrost in the refridgerator. Place a drip pan under the bird in its original package so it won't leak (don't defrost at room temperature)!
- How much do you need? Rule of thumb is about a pound and a half per person - leftovers and seconds!
Share your finished product on social media with us! #BGETurkey #WeberTurkey
And remember...turkey is the of the top 10 foods for your eyes with high levels of zinc and B-vitamins. Turkey consumption has doubled in the last 40 years. It is an ideal selection as a low-fat, high protein alternative to higher-fat meats. Turkey is also highly versatile in soups, sandwiches, grilling recipes, platters and so forth, making it an ideal choice for backyard grilling.
- Modified from the Weber Grill blog. Food tastes better off a grill...visit us to grab your holiday cooking accessories. Or if you're planning for backyard grilling in 2017, visit Weber and Big Green Egg!