For Burgers:1 1/2 lb. ground bison
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper as needed
canola oil as needed
4 slices Colby Jack cheese (or whatever you want)
4 Brioche rolls
1 large white onion - julienne
1 T. olive oil
2 T. butter
1 T. brown sugar
pinch red pepper flakes
1/2 oz. Whiskey
Instructions for Burgers:
- Add the meat and Worcestershire to a bowl and gently mix. Handle carefully.
- Divide the meat into four 6 oz. servings, shaping into patties.
- Indent each patty and place in the fridge until ready to grill.
- Fire up grill to medium high heat.
- Oil one side of the burgers (the side you'll grill first) and generously season with salt and pepper.
- Lay on grill (seasoned side down) and grill for three minutes.
- Oil/season once more and then flip.
- Grill the other side for 3 minutes.
- Add cheese at this step (optional)!
- The burger should be medium and juicy.
- Toast buns and serve with whiskey onions and greens!
Instructions for onions:
- Melt butter and oil in skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add onion slices.
- Cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Onions will be caramelized.
- Add a little more butter, reduce the heat , and cook additional 10 minutes.
- Add sugar and red pepper flakes and cook 5 minutes until sugar has melted and onions are glazed.
- Add whiskey and cook 2 minutes until whiskey has been absorbed.
Source and photo credit: http://www.vodkaandbiscuits.com/2014/08/29/bison-burgers-drunken-onions/